The Veterinary School in the Kingdom of Savoy was founded in 1769 near Venaria (15 km from Torino) by the surgeon Giovanni Brugnone (1741-1818) who attended the first courses at the School of Lyon, which had been established by Claude Bourgelat in 1762. King Carlo Emanuele III had sent four surgeons to learn Veterinary Medicine in France because of the needs of the cavalry in a period of frequent wars, but only Brugnone completed his studies and devoted himself to this discipline. This new School was the first in Italy and the fourth in Europe.Brugnone was the only teacher of the School that, in the first years, was under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of War. The Institution was then relocated near Chivasso in 1793 and, during the period of French rule, came to Torino, namely in the Valentino Castle until 1814. With the restoration of the Kingdom of Savoy, in 1818 the School moved back to Venaria and continued to be moved for the following forty years until 1859, when it was located in Via Nizza, at that time far apart from the town centre. In 1934 the School became one of the Faculties of the University of Torino, and the premises were progressively incorporated within the growing urban environment.
In 1999,the Faculty was relocated in a wide area in suburban Grugliasco, forming a campus together with the Agriculture Faculty. The new facilities meet all the needs of students and teachers by providing a farm, a fully equipped veterinary hospital and a dog pound.
The evolution of the School in more than two centuries reflects the scientific, professional and social evolution of the veterinary profession, for a long time in competition with empirics and blacksmiths. In the Italian Army, veterinarians were only granted the officer status in 1848.
Since its very first years, the School was directly involved in the running of horse farms for the Army and in the control of infectious diseases of cattle that caused huge economic damage to the Kingdom of Piedmont. When Italy became a state, various veterinary schools belonging to previously separate states were closed to reorganise teaching, and the School of Torino had a main role in the process. Among the scholars, it is worth to mention Carlo Lessona (1784-1858) for his studies about horse diseases and as the founder of the first veterinary periodic publication in Italy in 1838.
Felice Perosino (1805-1887), anatomist, was the first commander of the military veterinary Corps; Domenico Vallada (1822-1888) was a pathologist, a teacher of zootechnics, and a forerunner in the studies in food hygiene. One of the most famous teachers of the School was Edoardo Perroncito (1847-1936), a pathologist who had the first chair of Parasitology in the world. His fame derived by the brilliant success in the diagnosis and treatment of Ankylostoma, a nematode at the origin of deaths among miners and farmers.
The School has been visited by the EAEVE Committee on November 1999 and finally approved on 2002.